KOOTENAY RAFT CO.
KOOTENAY RAFT CO.
CELEBRATING 20 YEARS AS A PROUD COMMUNITY PARTNER IN KIMBERLEY BC
CELEBRATING 20 YEARS AS A PROUD COMMUNITY PARTNER IN KIMBERLEY BC
Established in 1998, the Kootenay Raft Co. has been Kimberley, Cranbrook & Fort Steele’s summer adventure HQ for 20 years. Our team is comprised of certified rafting guides meeting all provincial and national safety standards to ensure the well being of your friends and family. Recent guests identified that our high safety standards were the #1 criteria when choosing their river rafting trip!
About Kootenay Raft Co.
Kootenay Raft Co. prides itself upon offering consistent, excellent customer service. The guides and staff are more than just high caliber river bums, they are great people with a shared passion for a healthy outdoor lifestyle.
To be leading the Kootenays in providing authentic adventures in a unique natural environment.
Guest Satisfaction, Safety, Sustainability, Fun!
Each guide meets industry standard training protocols, including Swift Water Rescue and First Aid.
A first year guide, but no amateur, Zev has paddled since he could fit in a PFD. He is a TRU graduate and holds title of of best beard in the business. Has a beauty man bun.
Riley is one of KRC’s new junior guides and she is stoked to have a wicked summer. As a recent graduate of the Adventure Guide Diploma at TRU, she is a boss on the river. Riley is a world traveler, a lifelong adventurer, and has a smile that kills.
Senior guide Tony is on his second season at KRC, dad to all new guides and the jokes to prove it! Tony is fun, engaging and will give you a certified good time!
Hailing from Winnipeg MB, Anne is the office guru for 2018! A keen whitewater enthusiast, Anne will be rocking the phones during the day and rolling down the river at night. She is a huge fan of science and coffee, and would love to tell you all about it!
This is Jessica’s 3rd year with the business and she can she can do it all. An ace on the river, a maverick in the office and great with the kids…She knows what takes to have a good time!
Craig Loves Rafting. Like, A lot. He started KRC 20 years ago looking to chart his own path in the adventure tourism industry. A keen kayaker and mountain biker, Craig enjoys getting out into green space regularly, for his mental health! His current interests include doing his part for truth & reconciliation with Canada’s First Nations, sustainable trail building and chilling with his son, River.
Benjamin. What can you say about KRC’s longstanding river guide manager and veteran ski patroller, other than that he is that guy that makes everyone around him a better person. Mentor to new guides, super friendly with the clients, and an incredible river guide, Ben is a big part of KRC’s strong reputation. Originally, from France, Ben now has 2 beautiful children with his wife in Kimberley.
Named after a powerful canoeing stroke that offers both propulsion and steering capacity, River is the latest addition to the KRC team. This one is all smiles. You may see him in the office cooing at paddlers or be joining you on the big wet butt express, aka the bus.
Chris is our helpful, long-term logistic expert for KRC and its ever-changing schedule. Originally from Oz, Chris tends to use terms like ‘Dollop’ and ‘Put a shrimp on the barbie mate’.
All Kootenay Raft Co. trips and rentals depart from our Kimberley office and retail shop shared with Kimberley Fly Fishing. We are located downtown at 220 Ross St. Kimberley, BC. Our office is at the intersection with the set of traffic lights, the only set in town. Hard to miss!
Get ready because we give good rides! Please arrive a minimum of 15 minutes prior to trip departure, to check in and sign our waiver. Once you and your party are all set to go, jump on our big blue bus.
- There is ample free parking across the street from our office just a few steps from Kimberley’s famous Plazal. Perfect if you are looking for some post trip entertainment. Get the insider scoop from your guides of the best shops, boutiques and restaurants the Plazal has to offer.
View Kimberley Raft and Flyshop in a larger map
At Kootenay Raft Co, safety is our first priority. While we strive to provide the safest trips possible, there are inherent risks involved with any river activity. To combat this we ensure that:
- Each raft has a professional, certified river guide, who is trained in Wilderness First Aid (or as a Wilderness First Responder) and Swift Water Rescue. We invest in training for our guides, for the safety and security of your family.
- We use the lightest and strongest rafts available: Sotar brand rafts.
- Each trip is accompanied by a first aid kit. The kit will include standard first aid supplies, an epi-pen, and an emergency communication device.
It is the guests’ responsibility to assume the risks of participating in any Kootenay Raft Co. activity. Each guest is required to read and understand the ‘assumption of risk’ document and sign the waiver prior to trip departure. There will be ample time to read this document prior to departure, and your questions are encouraged.
To read the document, which outlines some of these potential hazards, click here: Assumption of risk and waiver document
It is also up to guests to inform guides of any medical conditions or injuries that could change their experience on the river, or of any medications that need to come on the trip.
There are no additional fees for equipment. For your maximum comfort and value, KRC provides the following complementary gear:
- Clean, high quality wetsuits
- Neoprene footwear to keep your feet warm!
- Nylon splash jacket
- Neporene gloves and sweaters upon request (for cold days!)
Only bring on the river what you are willing to get wet or potentially lose. We recommend all valuables such as keys, cell-phones, hearing aids, glasses, and wallets, etc. are left behind.
You can best prepare for the river with:
- A bathing suit under your clothes for easy changing
- A fleece sweater for cooler days
- Sunscreen and a hat for sunny days
- Sunglasses BUT only be worn if you have retention straps
- A change of clothes for after the trip
- Full payment is required to book a reservation. We accept cash or major credit cards only.
- We do not hold spots. KRC requires reservations to be paid in full by cash or credit card. A credit card is required for all online and phone bookings, cash is accepted in person at our Kimberley office.
- To qualify for group discount pricing, payment must be collected from group leader and made in one payment
- If guests do not show up for their trip, they will not receive a refund.
- We reserve the right to alter or cancel trips due to extreme conditions or insufficient bookings. Thanks to our high quality wetsuits, jackets, and thermal footwear, trips go rain or shine.
- No refunds within 7 days of trip departure
- All cancellations made prior to the 7 days of departure will be refunded, but are subject to a 5% administration fee
No, KRC does not have an age limit, however restriction for youth are based on the proper fit of our lifejackets.
Here are the basic guidelines per trip; please keep in mind Kootenay Raft Co. reserves the right to alter weight restrictions for safety or other reasons.
- St Mary’s Express; Minimum 50 lbs
- Wilderness Whitewater Express; Minimum 90 lbs
- Inflatable River Kayaking; Minimum 90 lbs
Our trips go rain or shine. Thanks to our high quality wetsuits and other top notch gear, we maximize your comfort no matter what the weather!
Drinking alcohol or the use of other recreational substances is not permitted while on any Kootenay Raft Co. trips. For safety reasons, any persons suspected of being intoxicated will be denied participation with no refund.
If you have any pre-existing medical condition that will require prescribed medication while on a trip, please let us know. We can ensure that it will be stored safely, and available to you when you need it.
River rafting can involve unforseen hazards inherent to river travel. For your safety, we do not advise pregnant persons to join our trips. Please read our assumption of risk document which outlines some of these potential hazards, and be sure call us to discuss your situation if this may be an issue.
For all of our trips, we offer digital photography to help document your adventure. All our rivers offer a wilderness experience, which means that there is no access to have pictures taken from the road or the riverbank. On the return trip, you will be able to view a slideshow of images taken during your river experience. If you like what you see, you can purchase the photos and take them home on a USB! They are high resolution pictures, that are great for sharing with friends and family, on blogs, and on your favourite social networks. You can even make t-shirts!